Let’s be honest, COLLEGE AIN’T EASY! Trying to juggle everything expected of us just feels impossible sometimes. School, volunteering, club meetings, research, etc. and having a social life all unanimously seems impossible. Making time for yourself seems even more impossible. This is why I started doing yoga.
Let’s start with the physical health benefits of yoga:
- Yoga promotes blood flow: This boosts the level of oxygen carried to your tissues decreasing your likelihood of heart disease due to increased blood flow. You feel all the fresh blood flowing through your veins and you feel empowered.
- Yoga gets your heart pumping: An increase in heart rate can be beneficial to people suffering from depression as well as decreasing your risk of a heart attack. These are the types of diseases that if we can prevent, we should.
- Boosts your immune system: According to mayo clinic, yoga improves your immune system. This puts you at lower risks for catching a virus or a cold. This is what caught my attention, if I could go all year without a cold, I would be filled with so much joy!
- Improves flexibility: Tight hips or hamstrings can lead to knee or back pain. The gradual loosening of the muscles relieves that avoidable pain. I started having back pain this semester because I just recently started using a bike, Yoga helped relieve this pain almost instantly.
There are also tons of mental health benefits of yoga:
- Yoga relieves anxiety and depression: Yoga can slow down heart rate and breathing to trigger those feel good sites in your brain. This is a healthier way to feel that body high!
- Improves memory and concentration: when practicing yoga, you are constantly focusing on your breathing and how you are moving your muscles. This requires a lot of focus and concentration that then follows you off the mat into your everyday life.
- Helps you build a sense of self: you build a relationship with yourself that in turn creates a happier and healthier you!<3
These are only a few of the reasons why I started practicing yoga. There are many more that may help you deal with situations in your life. If you haven’t already, give yoga a shot. It’ll be a feeling you’ve never experienced and I bet you’ll try it again!
Thanks so much for reading! Don’t forget to subscribe, Happy Stretching 🙂